I can’t tell…

…but I think s/he might be sticking her/his tongue out at me.

She was staring right at me through my kitchen window the other morning, as I disturbed her breakfasting in the neighbor’s yard.

The grass may be greener on that side of the fence, but this side has its perks. No doubt she, the cause of much chagrin last summer, spent the winter safe and snug under our shed. Maybe with her cousins. (That Dash, our neighbor’s dog, can’t stay away from the corner of the yard next to the shed confirms that theory.)

Well little missy, I still have that live trap I borrowed, and I’m just itching to hook you up with a beautiful new home in a sunny meadow far, far away. (Or at least in that vacant lot ½-mile down the road.)

Mark my words: I’ll get you my pretty. And your little cousins too!

Strong, deeply rooted desire is the starting point of all achievement.
~Napoleon Hill

Advertisements

6 Comments

1. Boat Drink Baby said,

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Is that a very large squirrel or a ground hog? Sorry to say this, but she’s kind of cute! 🙂

2. mel said,

Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Chris, take that thing much farther than 1/2-mile. OR lose the have-a-heart and get nasty with that vermin. My father, God love him, keeps a running tally of the groundhogs he “takes out” of the garden (his preferred removal tool is not as kind as yours). I stopped counting when he’d removed more than 40. My point? They breed. A lot. And then they call friends.

3. WritingbyEar said,

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 9:57 am

Boat Drink Baby — it’s a groundhog all the way. Mel — your dad would love my friend’s dad, who favors a pitchfork approach to the problem! I wish I had the heart (and stomach) not to have-a-heart. I’m with you. I put too much $$ and effort into the garden to have these little hogs ruin it. I didn’t have any luck with the trap last year — I’m trying again starting today! (I saw the little bugger in the neighbor’s yard yesterday too.)

4. RL said,

Monday, April 19, 2010 at 11:12 am

Where’s Bill Murray when you need him? Plastic explosives might be in order!

5. Rege said,

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

Don’t get caught. It’s against the law in Pa. to trap and transport animals. It may have to do with giving other people your problems or ” upsetting the natural balance.”

6. WritingbyEar said,

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 at 9:42 am

Hell, they relocate people all the time (highways; eminent domain). I guess we upset the natural balance when we freed the thing from being caught in the neighbor’s (abandoned) cellar. Should have let it starve in there, I guess.