What’s your favorite Christmas cookie?

I seem to be the designated cookie baker in the family. Not by election, just by default — I’m usually the only one who makes them, and now it’s sort of expected.

For the past several years, I’ve made 7 or 8 different kinds — old favorites and some new ones that I particularly like or that sound good. Here’s what last year’s cookie tray looked like — I have a lot of baking left to do this year.

I’m curious: What’s your favorite kind of Christmas cookie? Leave a comment and let me know. If it’s on the unusual side (e.g., not thumbprints or gingerbread or spritz cookies or something most people would know right off), describe it please. If you have a recipe, so much the better. (Or if you have a recipe for an old favorite that you swear is the best ever, I’d love that too.)

I always try to make at least one thing different every year, and it helps to know what’s really worth the effort out of the million recipes you can find online. And who better to ask than experts like you?

A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
~ Some clever soul

Advertisements

10 Comments

1. chappy said,

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 1:22 pm

my favorite is the pinwheel swirl! maurice lenell makes a good one…reminds me of christmas with my grandmother….

2. chappy said,

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 6:30 pm

do not hink i mentioned how delicious the tray of cookies looks….cannot wait for the gift exchange and festivities!

3. WritingbyEar said,

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Hmmmm, maybe Santa will bring a swirly cookie just for you!

4. WARREN said,

Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 4:27 am

My favorite is whatever is in front of me. Especially when you make them!

5. Rege said,

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 10:07 am

I think least favorite would be easier. I’m not a big fan of biscotti, although they’d do in a pinch.

6. WritingbyEar said,

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 10:12 am

Wow, I’m surprised by the lack of response. I thought this would be easy (and fun). Guess people aren’t into cookies as much as I am. (Biscotti are my favorite for dunking.)

7. Facie said,

Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I don’t really bake; I hate following directions (and I am also not very good at that). But I love anything with pumpkin and chocolate in it, though not usually together.

I do make what someone at my last job called “cakies,” which are cookies made with white cake mix and peanut butter, plus chocolate chips. I did not realize cookies were made with flour until I was in my late 20s (though I did often wonder why Mom’s cookies were so much fluffier than the flat ones you always see).

8. WritingbyEar said,

Sunday, December 13, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Wow, Facie, hard for me to relate — I made my first pie at age 10. Good thing your mom was a good baker! (My mom rarely baked but my dad was a fabulous bread baker and made occasional sweet treats we all loved.)

9. RL said,

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 7:31 am

A delightful article about the Pittsburgh cookie tradition for weddings:

Pittsburgh and cookies rock!

10. WritingbyEar said,

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 at 10:11 am

Oooohhhhh, RL, thanks for sharing this article! Many fond memories of cookies (and the cake itself) wrapped up in a napkin and brought home. Can’t wait to see the documentary!